Like any other piece of equipment, glucose meters need routine maintenance in order to function properly.
Since your treatment depends on the readings from your glucose machine, glucometer maintenance is key to ensuring that your blood glucose values are accurate, so that your treatment is appropriate.
Here are some important tips to keep your glucometer in tip-top shape:
1. Cleaning - some glucometers have a lens area that can become smeared with blood, oils from your fingers and dust. Do not use alcohol to clean your lens, as it can damage it. A better choice is plain water or a special cleaner designed for cleaning delicate equipment. Using a soft cloth, gently wipe the lens area clean.
2. Batteries - your glucometer may not signal you when the batteries are
getting low, or your may get skewed readings before the low battery message is shown. Get to know your glucometer and set a regular schedule for changing your batteries.
3. Keep a spare set of batteries nearby in the event you need to do a last-minute or late-night testing.
4. Performing controls - the best way check if your glucose meter is working
properly is to routinely perform controls. When you get your meter, you will also be provided with control solution. Use the solution like you would a blood sample, and compare the reading with the desired range on the control packaging. If the control is out of range, you may need to shake the solution better, clean your lens, or replace your batteries.
5. Using the check strip or key - when you open a new bottle of test strips, remember to use the check strip or key to set the code on your glucometer.
Remembering these key maintenance tips will help to ensure that your glucometer is performing optimally, and that your blood sugar readings are accurate.
Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.