Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Diabetic Exercise and other Diabetes topics.
Most of us carry a water bottle with us when we exercise, whether it is going for a walk or working out in the gym. Water is important for a variety of reasons, and not just for exercise, especially for those with diabetes.
Proper hydration promotes:
1) Kidney function - assists in
flushing out toxins and waste
2) Stabilization of blood pressure -
low pressure contributes to
dizziness and falls
3) Dilution of sugars in the blood, so
hyperglycemia does not occur
4) Transport of sugar as fuel, and the
insulin to utilize it
5) Bowel function - dehydration
contributes to constipation
6) Lower risk for ketoacidosis - toxic
state caused by use of body fat as
7) Better circulation to the extremities
Water supports many body systems and is a key element in any healthy eating plan. Talk to your doctor about how much water you need each day, and then grab a bottle "to go."